What Happened in the Real Estate Market in Colorado and Denver in 2020As many of us are eager to put 2020 in our rearview mirror and looking forward to brighter times in 2021, let's take a quick
Real Estate Investing
Dated: January 6 2021
Have you ever thought about investing in real estate but not sure where to start?
Here are some key considerations in evaluating if the property you are looking at, is a good investment.
Property Specific Considerations
- Can you buy it below market value?
- Can you increase the current rents and what are the rent increases year over year?
- Can you do small renovations to substantially increase the value of the property?
Economic Influences for the Area
- ? Is there an overall increase in demand in the area?
- Is this an area of commercial transition - new retail?
- Is there transportation improvement planned and when? Is there construction planned in the area?
- What is the average income of the area?
- Is there a demographic this area is attractive with; downsizers, baby boomers, millennials?
- What is the quality of the schools, playgrounds, community services? Is it an area attractive to families?
Meeting 6 or more of the above criteria is the best!
Looking at Cash Flow
Monthly rent x 12 = gross annual rent
Gross Annual Rent divided by Purchase Price = cash flow.
This number needs to be between 4-6% for positive cash flow.
What is the expense to income ratio? (35 -45% is workable)
There are additional critical due diligence items to consider: Taxes, outstanding work or compliance orders, area complaints, do you need to change the tenants, and who will manage the property.
This should get you started on your real estate investing. I am happy to help further in any way and find you the ideal investment property.
Tamara Whelpley has lived and worked in Denver for over 30 years and is an expert in Washington Park, Cherry Creek, Highlands, and throughout the Denver corridor. Consulting is her top priority. She is your advisor and advocate and understands the importance of communication throughout the real estate process. She is well versed in multimillion-dollar sales and first-time homebuyers. She is also well informed and experienced on where to ski, bike, hike, golf, and dine at the new upscale restaurants throughout beautiful Denver, Colorado. Tamara is a trained auctioneer and would be happy to discuss the benefits of buying and selling real estate at auction in a hot market. Visit her website to be linked directly to the best information on real estate in Denver.
Text Tamarajo to 85733 for her mobile business card
Get the Value of your home by clicking here
Tamara Jo Whelpley 303-877-9663
Denver Real-Estate Concierge - Tamara Whelpley has lived and worked in Denver for over 30 years and is an expert in the Washington Park, Cherry Creek Highlands and throughout the Denver corridor. Tam....